The S.E.C.’s Eminent Expansion:Just HOW MANY Tigers can one conference tame?

There’s no doubt that the downtime just  before Opening Day in College Football can be likened to Political Commercials’  “Silly Season” just before a Presidential Election. Nevertheless, the rumor-mill has ground this peppercorn to the point it’s almost ready to crank onto your prime rib: On Monday, The Clemson Tigers (and others)  could join The Southeastern Conference.

Jumping around in the hopper this weekend you’ll find Clemson, FSU, Mizzou & Texas A&M all up for consideration to move to the SEC. In fact, The Aggies are already in! This could be the first BIG News-lead to hit College Football in months that does not start with the words “NCAA INVESTIGATES…”

Why not Virginia Tech? you ask. Well, with the political muscle the Hokies had to flex to get into the ACC to begin with, it’s highly doubtful that the Legislative Elitists in the Commonwealth of Virginia would allow an Abdication from the ACC throne without UVA somehow being allowed to cling to the robe. Plus their mascot ain’t a Tiger!

The SEC already hosts the Auburn Tigers and the LSU Tigers, who, by the way, not only plagiarized Clemson’s Mascot, but hi-jacked their “Tiger Rag” A-N-D “Death Valley” to boot! (But that’s another story) Now, they look to add these additional Cats: The Tigers of Clemson and those of Mizzou! Which begs the question: Just how many Tigers can one conference tame?

In all seriousness though, Clemson has secured a young, energetic, energizing Coach in Dabo Swinney who–after coming off a LOSING SEASON– still manages to pull a top fifteen recruiting class out of his Orange and Purple Bag O’ Tricks. While they have only made it to the ACC Title Game once — A Championship Clemson technically “won by default” now that Ga. Tech. was apparently tainted at the time– is Tiger Football (and I DO mean Clemson Tiger Football here) finally on the right track?

If  George “H.W.Bush” were a sportscaster, he would proclaim that Clemson’s “Tommy Bowden Era of Malaise”  has finally ended! So is now the time to jump ship to what Ol’ Frank Howard himself would be forced to call the most powerful football conference in America?

Baby Steps, Weighted lunges or quantum leaps: What course of motion do you think The Clemson Tigers should take at this time?

* J.L.Mann Cromer, Jr [BA 1985, Clemson University; JD 1988, University of South Carolina School of Law]

10 thoughts on “The S.E.C.’s Eminent Expansion:Just HOW MANY Tigers can one conference tame?

1. Buford Pusser on said:

Let me make it abundantly clear, if you love football and you love rivalries, you’ll run for the SEC. First from a Clemson perspective, check out a schedule that will look similar to this; georgia, south carolina, tennessee, and fsu…throw in the rotation of an Auburn, Alabama, and even LSU and you’ve got some awesome Saturdays in the south. They already recruit well enough, they have a passionate fanbase, they generally fill the stadium unless it’s cupcake U. and they own their chief rival, an up and coming Gamecock program. Talk about irony, South Carolina for 20 years has held that over Clemson, but not anymore, not with the Clemson wearing the SEC patch on those orange uni’s. Can you imagine what that game will mean now? Perhaps it finally gets the national pub it deserves.

While some Clemson fans believe that running the ACC is still possible, what gives you any indication that it will happen now or even in the future? While the ACC isn’t hard to win, it makes it even more of an enigma why Clemson hasn’t won a league title in 20 years. Remember, they recruit well, they just can’t win this league. Is it coaching, is it higher standards by the egg heads in the athletic dept, what?

So yes, if I’m Clemson, I join as soon as I’m asked. I only wish the folks in charge at the school I pull for were interested in football. If you have a penis, you can play in the SEC and you can tell John Swofford to suck it!

2. Bill Rabon on said:

Go for it. Then we can kick Clemsons a.. and it will mean something

3. Bill Gause on said:

Wouldn’t surprise me one way or the other. Of course, SC’s recruiting plus is talking up the SEC. Don’t want to share that with CU.

4. Jay on said:

If nothing else it would legitimize the rivalry.

5. Wesley on said:

Bring it on Florida gotors are waiting

6. Sam Jones on said:

I guess everything changes over time. The ACC is very different than it was before the expansion. The old rivalries are changed as well. Personally, I like Clemson in the ACC. I recognize that college sports is ruled by money these days. My blood runs orange regardless of who you group them with. I live in the research triangle though so playing NC or UNC or Duke gives me an easy chance to see my boys play.

7. June on said:

HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT SC’s TWO MAJOR UNIVERSITIES SHOULD BE IN SAME CONF. THINK OF HOW MUCH MORE HYPE THERE WOULD BE FOR THE USC/CLEMSON GAME AND OTHER ACTIVITIES THAT WEEKEND THE OTHER TEAMS MEANTIONED WOULD BOOST SEC PROMINENCE TOO, FOR SURE.

I’m from the Northeast so I do not feel qualified to comment, although I think that traditional rivals should be in the same conference. More fun and more excitement.

9. Bob on said:

I guess I’m the only one thinking of the big picture: the BCS rankings. The way things are going with “enrollment” in the SEC, how will it be possible for every “powerhouse team” to play each other? Even if you just eliminate the “easy” games with much weaker teams, the schedule will be so hard for every SEC team that what will they have left at the end? Sure conditioning can be optimized so a player can make it through a tough season. However, tough games risk great players to injury. We’re talking about very young bodies here, some that have just reached maturity. To take the weekly pounding against other, equally strong teams risks those young players to possibly career-ending injury. If it were my kid playing, I’d be very concerned about how hard this conference is getting.
    Plus, with the SEC getting so big with tough, ranked teams, how will the BCS rankings be decided? How is it fair for a team from the SEC (especially one that wins the SEC championship) to be ranked nearly equally with another Boise State?
    As for Clemson being in the SEC, there is certainly justification for that. The Big 10 wouldn’t be complete without the traditional Ohio State/Michigan game (always the last game of the season). In the past, a win did not only establish bragging rights for a team, but used to mean a Big 10 number one ranking and a trip to the Rose Bowl. Carolina/Clemson games have almost the same hoopla but without as much to lose as the latter rivalry.
    I think any additions to the SEC should be more carefully considered and some credit given to a team emerging as victor of the SEC at the end of the season. It doesn’t seem right that the winner of this championship should be of equal weight to the winner of other conferences with much weaker competition.

10. carolyn on said:

LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD BE TO CLEMSON’S ADVANTAGE. CERTAINLY HAVE GREAT BALL GAMES. HOW WOULD THE ACC TAKE THIS OR DO THEY HAVE A SAY?