C.U. in MIAMI, BABY!

Whenever an especially ugly reality raises its hand and SMACKS me upside the head, I become a creature of habit: I lapse into a catatonick numbness, for a spell. Figure the shit out. Then– in the now infamous words of Patti O’Furniture from my Bigfoot Movie– realize it’s time to“SNAP–OUT OF IT, MARY!” Last Saturday night in Columbia, my Clemson Tigers had not yet shaken off that Wolfpack Juju. But DAMN if they didn’t  last night.

While an 8-0 start, followed by a 1-3 finish, epitomized the new college football term of “a Clemsoning,” there was redemption waiting in Charlotte — a chance for the Tigers to win their first ACC championship in 20 years. About 75 percent of people on ESPN.com picked the opponent, Virginia Tech. So did the pundits.(not me tho, check my facebook post!) But for the most part,  It was literally “the night the lights went out in Clemson.” When the game was all over, though, it was Clemson with a 38-10 victory and its ticket punched to the Orange Bowl.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to announce that I will be taking my Clemson talents to South Beach, baby,” Tigers head coach Swinney said. “I have wanted to say that. We’re excited. Man, it’s just a great time. We are awfully excited about going to Miami. We played like a champion today.”

Quarterback Tajh Boyd, named the MVP of the game, said the team’s performance was a matter of refocusing and trusting in themselves.

“Somewhere you’ve just got to dig deep inside yourself, and work through things,” he said. “Obviously, you do get a sense of complacency, and if you let it, if you let the outside world influence how you carry yourself and how you act. I mean, that’s just one of the life lessons learned. I feel like that’s one of the things that happened, and it happened for a reason, to let you know that all you can really do is believe in yourself and your family, which is my teammates. I’m just proud to be here.”

Boyd connected on 20 of his 29 passes for 240 yards and three touchdowns. But that wouldn’t have been possible without the Tigers rediscovering their running attack, with Andre Ellington toting the rock 20 times for 125 yards.

“I’m proud of Andre Ellington. He was big time player tonight on a big stage,” Swinney said. “He was one of the big keys in the game for us because we were able to run the football.”

This time, though, Clemson didn’t have to put up gaudy numbers in a second-half comeback. The defense put on an exceptional display, limiting conference player of the year — Virginia Tech running back David Wilson — to 32 yards on 11 carries.

“Part of the reason we stopped running the ball is because I guess the coaches thought it was unsuccessful the times we did try,” Wilson said. “But at the same time, you’ve got to get your guys going. The offensive line, gotta get them moving and get your running back into the flow of the game. When you see that happening, you can’t just exclude them.”

Swinney said after the game that if the team could put together a complete game on offense, defense and special teams, Clemson could beat anyone. Last night they did just that.  Now, the Tigers will be taking that lesson to the BCS. “C.U. in Miami, Baby!”

by J.L. Mann Cromer, Jr, an Attorney licensed to practice in South Carolina, California & The District of Columbia. He received his BA in 1985 from Clemson University and his JD in 1988 from the University of South Carolina School of Law.

with Wes Wolfe. He’s written for 11 publications in five states, and is the proprietor of The Five Points Flood.

44 thoughts on “C.U. in MIAMI, BABY!

1. Paul Abrams on said:

Congrates to Clemson on a well played game. Glad to see so kind of championship from the palmetto state.

• Paul Abrams on said:

some

• Spurney on said:

FINALLY!!! A deserved win!!!! Hope to be able to get to Miami!!!

Bubba Darlin’ Congratulations! Clemson played a great game. If you have seen the AP Poll today you have to congratulate me because my USC is #5- who would have thought it? Very sweet since we cannot be in the BCS. I still think the Razorbacks should be ahead of Stanford and Oregon. Oregon played a lousy game against UCLA a week after we beat UCLA 50-0 and Stanford almost lost to us and Cal. Way to pull it together Tigers, hope you have a great game in the Orange Bowl.

What a difference a week makes… As I have spent the last 3 week in the Honorable Sol Blatt library, in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina preparing for my exams, I have notice a lot more orange this sunday then the previous.

I got to hand it to Clemson, they are the best team in the ACC. I am not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things, but I guess there is a reason why the ACC Champ plays the Big East Champ.

I hope all the fans enjoy this moment and remember that you didn’t relive 81 and your coach is chasing phantom OBC’s.

But for state pride, enjoy your trip to Sun Life….

Also, how funny is it that the power went out in Clemson, SC during the game? Did the mule that was turning the generator die?

• Terri Mostiller on said:

He went to Charlotte with the team!!

5. Tom Smith on said:

Finally, a complete game. Yes, Dabo is our coach for a long time.
    Congrats to the players and coaches. Job well done.

6. Sherry Shealy Martschink on said:

Congratulations to the Tigers!

7. Greg Crouch on said:

I have to congratulate the Tigers on their ACC Championship. Being a Notre Dame fan I rise above the sniping from USC and Clemson. I do feel good for the kids from both schools that worked so hard and had a greats season. I hope you all are too upset that the Irish are Jesus’s favorite team. I also apologize to the Carolina Fan I knocked out at Wild Wings in Harbison. You obviously did not know I didn’t feel like arguing with you. God Bless America

8. Zenee Miller on said:

Congratulations to our Clemson Tigers!

9. Terri on said:

I am so proud of Clemson for the great win over Virginia Tech last night! Great game and so proud of you for being
    the the ACC Champions!!!!

10. Bonnie on said:

I never doubted the Tigers ability to get the job done. And they did it in spades last night! MAN! What an awesome game! And now onwards to Miami! Another National Championship team is on the way!
    T – I – G – E – RRR – S! Fight, Tigers, fight, Tigers, fight, fight, fight!

11. Chris on said:

What an amazing game they played, glad they one and are headed toward another victory against Miami.

• Chris on said:

meant ot say won…sorry for they typo!

12. Ed on said:

The winning ingredient: they FINALLY looked like they were having fun again last night, after about a month of taking themselves too seriously.

What say ye, Grayson Marshall? You’re seriously into coaching (I only dabble in it).

Ed

13. Lib Tucker on said:

Congrats to the Tigers on your championship. Boyd was re-born after being dead the last several weeks.

14. Jim Carr on said:

What a tradition, first ACCChampionship in 20yrs. Congrtulations. Clemson is now the #1 football team in the ACC, and #2 in South Carolina.

• Spencer Hill on said:

Well put!

As a South Carolina alumni and have an ancestry being form WV before the French and Indian War–way before many of your ancestors came up the river and ate rice. I have just one ting to say…

Go Mountaineers!

15. ben Moise on said:

USC’s worthy opponent, our Coach Swinney led Tigers, have been poured from the crucible and been molded into a coherant team that has put their act together in a fine performance. I hope they will reprise that elan and drive into a splendid bowl victory in the Orange Bowl. I’m also rootin’ for my Gamecocks in Tampa.

16. BA on said:

Great win for the Tigers! Way to go Bubba! CU at the Orange Bowl!

17. B-HO's Couch Burners on said:

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Spencer Hill on said:

Thank you!

18. Blondie on said:

GO TIGERS!!!! Learn them Mountaineers some football!

19. Polly on said:

Congrats to the Tigers, the better team in THAT game won. However, it does say something that the 5th best in the SEC can beat the 1 ACC team…. and today accomplishing the Trifecta of all three major mens sports in one year,

I know, right? Well since you’re such a huge SEC Fan, I guess you should just keep on gloating… as well as be thankful that they aren’t comparing academics, SAT scores, and, you know, “stuff” like that. YOUR SEC might not look quite so superior in that instance.

• Spencer Hill on said:

Have you ever noticed how Clemson fans always change the subject…

USC has won two CWS national Championships…but we won the 1981 National Football Championship

You might have beat us for three years …but we have more wins over the series

…good thing you are not competing on Academics

The funny thing about this rivalry its just a year to year thing…but you have have to eat crow for a third year in a row!

• David Ridgeway on said:

Good thing yardbirds aren’t going to Atlanta where they lost to the 3rd best ACC team last year.

20. Jay Spangler on said:

Would you be all in favour of exchanging links?

21. ACE on said:

Six weeks ago, prior to any knowledge of Clemson playing in the ACC Championship Bowl, I made reservations for a “romantic weekend” for my husband and I in Charleston. When he figured out it was the weekend of the bowl game, his hound-dog look nearly made me give in. So I promised him he could watch the game Saturday night and even called the Inn to make sure they had ESPN. The first thing my husband said upon entering the room and spotting the ancient 19-inch television set high on the ceiling in a corner of the room fifteen feet from the bed was, “I gotta watch the bowl game on THAT?” I reminded him most people did not come to the plantation inn to watch tv. Nonetheless, near game time, he dropped the tv to the fireplace hearth on top of a desk chair, pulled another chair up to the tv, propped his feet against the hearth and thoroughly enjoyed watching his Tigers play an extremely good game against VT. I did , however, have to keep reminding him there were other people around us and he needed to keep the loud whooping to a medium roar. Congratulations Tigers on a game well-played and an ACC Championship Title that is well-deserved. Have a GREAT successful trip to Miami!

Glad to know the Tiger can still roar !

23. Debbie on said:

Congratulations to Clemson on winning and becoming the ACC champions!!!!

Just one question though – since Clemson is the real University of South Carolina does that mean that USC really holds the ACC title?

24. Reid Treadaway on said:

Go Tigs

25. Robert Holmes on said:

I’m getting on line today to look for Orange Bowl tickets. 30 years ago I went to the 1982 Orange Bowl when we won our one & only National Championship. I think this group might have a chance at a National Championship, if they stay together & healthy. We shall see!

That WV game should be a toughie. Didn’t that team lose to syracuse by four touchdowns? I’ll be on the edge of my seat.

27. Linda Shivers Bleckley on said:

It was a great game, so proud to see the Tigers put it all together. Now lets show West Virginia what we got!!!

My blood runs garnet and black, but I gotta say, am delighted and proud of our Orange nemesis, GREAT JOB CLEMSON!!!!

29. Christie on said:

I may be a Gamecock, but I give credit where credit is due! Go Tigers! Go Tigers! Get your game one! Go Tigers!!!!! SC keeps looking better and better and better!

30. Joseph Maxberry on said:

I’m happy for the players and i very happy to Coach Sweeney and his staff, especially Coach Scott. It was a good win and leaves Tiger fans with something to feel good about for Christmas and New Year’s Day.

31. TODD L on said:

Well done again!

It was nice to see that there are a few USC fans with some class.

32. Cadillac Barbie on said:

Congratulations to ou Tiger team – Looking forward to the Orange Bowl victory!

how they ever got to play such a crappy team to win the conference is beyond me. They couldn’t tackle anyone. It’s easy to win when you really don’t play a worthy opponent and the bowl game will be more of the same, another crappy team. Best of luck with your winning season.

bitterness burns a hole in the pocket of the one who wears it.

• John on said: