MAN-UP Ricky Ménage! It’s YOUR FODDER, not OUR FAITH that’s under attack!

Slate said in a tweet recently that former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum should “stop whining,” that people aren’t attacking his religion. They’re attacking him. For some, perhaps because he’s using his faith, such as it is, as a shield and a sword… For the love of God — and I mean that reverently — can I have an A-M-E-N?!?

That is certainly offensive to this Catholic, And I should think it would also be so to Christians & folks of any faith. Using your religion for political gain is like using your child, or the memory of a deceased relative. It was even worked into the script of “The American President,” with Michael Douglas’ character getting legitimately pissed off when an aide brought up his former wife.

John Dickerson wrote on Feb. 22:

Now, this claim is nuts. Rick Santorum isn’t being asked about his faith. He’s being asked about statements that have come out of his own mouth about contraception, prenatal screening, and man’s dominion over earth. Even if we stipulate that the press is asking a disproportionate number of questions about these issues—instead of, say, his manufacturing plan or position on Syria—the questions I’ve heard haven’t been about papal infallibility or the Catechism. When the press want to ask gotcha questions about doctrinal matters, they ignore everything the candidate actually talks about and ask about evolution—as they regularly did with Mike Huckabee during the 2008 race.

This is a dodge. And when you make a dodge of faith, you cheapen it—not the least because you make the plea seem like just another political move.

First, let’s dispense with the red meat: To Hell with the Homos!

Perhaps one of the worst aspects of Santorum misusing his faith is in a continual and hateful campaign against gays and gay rights — here, there, seemingly everywhere that one group of people ask to be treated by the same rules as everyone else. Two words Ricky Ménage : enough already!

In life, I have been blessed to have held some significant jobs. In each of them, one of my main goals has been to take my jobs seriously, but not myself. Whilst I’ll never be important like Rick Santorum, he has clearly never embraced that mantra. So I think a little humor is warranted here: On that note…

Rick Santorum had said things in public that would be jokes in and of  themselves, if he didn’t mean them seriously.

How about this gem: “In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be.”  Mmmmmmkaaaay?!?

What about thissun: “One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country…. Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that’s okay, contraception is okay. It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.”  Mmmmmmkaaaay?!?

Ok, check “The Gays” off the list. ISSUE TWO (2): BLAME ALL  ILL …ON THE PILL!

I have been around politics a long time, and I appreciate the fact that Santorum needs to win the “far right” to get the GOP Presidential nod. I Get it. B-U-T what in Hell’s Halfacre is all this diatribe launched against the BIRTH CONTROL PILL?

I think my favorite moment — ONCE AGAIN — in the Mesa, Arizona Debate this week was brought to you by main man, Ron Paul, who said something along the lines of “Pills don’t make people immoral, immoral p-e-o-p-l-e do!!!

I’m tellin’ ya — if I could bottle up this guy’s common sense and sell it, I could CLOSE DOWN my law practice!

And for those personal friends of mine reading this (not to mention fellow parishioners at St. Joe’s & Sacred Heart) I have never had, and shall never have a problem separating My Church from My State! And that’s from a dude who is on his way to Stations of the Cross as I write this piece so please don’t go there!

But I digress…. Back to Ricky Ménage ….

If anyone should be upset about the confluence of faith and the Santorum candidacy, it should be the rest of us who believe using God as a tool or Jesus as a pit bull attack dog for political gain isn’t worth our vote.

As my Raging Republican,  Sassy Supermom and awesome pal Kimberly Locklair reminded me yesterday, the Rick Santorum of late is no different that the Rick Santorum past. The only difference is that lately, after being thrust into the spotlight like Dana Carvey’s pelvis in the Church Lady’s Superior Dance , folks have been forced to micro-examine what was already before them. And I , for one, don’t like what I see growing in that  Petri dish! But enuff about MY opinion, what’s your’s?

by J.L. Mann Cromer, Jr., who served as the only true independent member of the South Carolina General Assembly from 1990-1998. Currently, he is a general practice attorney in Columbia, S.C., concentrating in probate and estate planning, criminal defense and personal injury law.

With Wes Wolfe. He wrote for 11 newspapers in five states and is the marketing coordinator for ACEC Virginia.

62 thoughts on “MAN-UP Ricky Ménage! It’s YOUR FODDER, not OUR FAITH that’s under attack!

1. Manly Harrison on said:

I am assuming that the Republican party (as a whole) would like to regain the executive branch ..right??…….Has any republican political strategist paid any attention to this slow motion train wreck?….This man is scary STUPID ! Its no wonder the voters of Penn said they had enough…….There is absolutely no way he will be elected president….And frankly if that ever happened…Ive always wanted to live in Australia!

2. Sararay on said:

It has concerned me for sometime that a man who had his children cuddle a dead fetus is the Republican candidate running on the family and moral values platform.

• Billy Hucks on said:

Yep, about the sickest thing I’ve heard in a while.

3. Xan Skinner on said:

I think a strong, robust faith and values are important issues in gauging a politician. I want someone who is going to take their job seriously and who is concerned to do the right thing, even if to do so is to make a hard choice. But a politician is supposed to represent all the people, not just a privileged few. He should be open minded, welcoming and inclusive. His positions should be based in reality, not fantasy. Rick Santorum fails the test.

His recent remarks about euthanasia in the Netherlands have the Dutch people outraged at the slander, and this is just one of many “pants on fire” statements as rated by the Politifact truth-o-meter (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/feb/22/rick-santorum/rick-santorum-says-you-cant-name-one-time-last-20-/ ). He dares to assert that Obama’s attempt to enforce environmental regulations are the result of a phony theology “not based on the Bible.”

Well, Rick, I’m not aware that the concept of stewardship of the earth includes the idea of pillaging the earth with open pit mines and leaving behind vast swaths of land that is unuseable for any purpose for all time forward. Sorry that it’s inconvenient to say this, but I don’t think that it’s wise policy to make it cheap for gas guzzling SUV’s to use up all the oil on the planet that might be needed by my great-great-great-great grandchildren. After all, we are talking about stewardship of something that is finite and limited. (When this oil is gone, there ain’t no more, and we are using it for WHAT?)

What about listening to the other side and finding ways of meeting in the middle? Just because someone’s views are different from yours, you think they’re not Christian? Hmm. Isn’t that kind of judgment directly contradictory to the attitude the Bible says we are to have toward others? And don’t get me started on health care. Anyone who is tempted to think Rick “Insanitorum” represents Christianity needs to read this article, “What Bible is Santorum Reading” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-lux/what-bible-is-santorum-reading_b_1288094.html You may not agree with everything in that article, but it’s a lot more mainstream than the worship of mammon and self that has come into vogue among the religious right.

As a Christian, I am sick and tired of having my faith misrepresented by people who use it to support bigotry, small mindedness, literalism, and selfishness. Santorum represents Christianity about as accurately as the Old Woman in the Shoe represents motherhood. He is small minded, bigoted, opportunist, and either incapable of understanding the facts or shows reckless disregard for the truth. He is not fit to be a leader of my nation.

4. R.Simmons on said:

Santorum is by far no Jesus, he’s a sinner just like the rest of us. But I do wonder how Jesus himself would be painted by today’s media?

5. Adriana on said:

thanks for share!

6. Ms. Barr on said:

I totally agree with the title of the blog post. What a whiny, ignorant baby. Like Ron Paul said, it’s not the pill that makes people immoral. Santorum, you do know it’s used to treat various female reproductive medical conditions? Grab a clue and quit whining.

I’ve spent more time on this person than he warrants.

7. Sali Parker Morris on said:

Well, what would Jesus do?????? Move to Australia!?!?

8. Ted Newsom on said:

Poor little Frothy Santorum. Someone whispered in his year years ago, “Little Ricky, you should be President.” And the dumb ass believed it.

That was so cruel.

9. Dr. Sturran on said:

well as a Republican, I must say that this years Presidential race is rather amusing if not sad. here we have 4 candidates that seem to be acting as if they are on the other team with all this mud slingin to one another. Now Santorum ,I think is a joke period. I had hoped he would have left by now or least had such a low vote he would have vamoosed . I don’t think he has the balls to beat OBummer………! If he goes up against OBummer we should maybe all jus move to Cuba….as it will be a better place to live…least we know we will be broke going in.Why he feels he has to run his campaign with religion is beyond me, Religion has its place and its not in trying to gather votes in Politics. I could give a rats ass about what his beliefs on contraception,abortion etc. We need a business man to run this country.not some Religious whacko…..that probably has some skeletons in his closet that aren’t out in the open. I myself personally am Leary of people that tout their beliefs to swoon over the other religious folks of the like……….. they have a agenda………… and in short not a Man we want in office of President.

10. Julie on said:

This guy has been getting on my nerves for lots of reasons.

11. Fancy on said:

I just shake my head, and wait for November so that it will all be over.

12. Doug Ellison on said:

James, just find me a conservative Republican. Not sure we have one.

13. Adam on said:

The absolute, most distressing thing about this man is clearly the fact that he believes the venom that he spews. I don’t know that it is some repressed hatred of himself or if he thinks that pandering to the lowest common denominator of his base will get him elected. Either way he makes me ill to my stomach every time he opens his mouth, and Australia is looking really good.

14. Paul Abrams on said:

I still think anyone is better than the Obozo. I am ashamed to live in a country that’s corrupt as much as we have happening right before our eye’s. Where’s the outrage for Eric Holder and Obozo selling guns to the Mexicans. Where’s the outrage for a So called President who can’t produce a real birth certificate, has all college records blocked, whats the Bastard hiding ? You people make me sick, the problems not with who’s running for President, its the son of a bitch thats in there now.

• Steve Douglas on said:

Behold a “sense” of outrage that slept, silent, between January 2000 and January 2008, while the shape of our disaster was being forged by criminals, incompetents and megalomaniacs.

• Stephanie Doherty on said:

Curious. I don’t have a “real” birth certificate either. Does not state anything but my mother’s name, father’s name, and place of birth. That’s it. Nothing else. Issued when I was 6 months old. Would I then not qualify as president? I am truly sick of hearing about the birth certificate. Thankfully, my military career did not hinge on me having a “real” birth certificate.

15. Donna on said:

As I have observed before, he really should be called Rick “what about my needs?” Santorum. Every syllable he utters, I dare say even the words he thinks and doesn’t say, make the word inane seem, well, inadequate. Can you say “hypocrite?” I say this because I suspect there are those in his circle of beloved who are homosexual, on birth control and that he would find justification for those in this circle. Of course, more frightening is the very real possibility that he would ignore them, deny them andor claim them condemned to the fires of hell. What a pitiful excuse for humanity. Yes, I realize these are strong words. But he creates such strong feelings of dislike that it is, quite frankly, hard to take the high road. One thing is clear, he stoops so low that, to quote my Daddy, the man “can set on the sidewalk curb and swing his legs.” Please, Mister Santorum, go away. Crawl back under your rock and take your judgments with you. Leave the judging to the ultimate authority….it sure as hell isn’t you.

16. autumn/butterfly reese on said:

nominate 1 of us redneck biker hillbillys in office and u sure will see change,we got voices and opinions too and can easily shove them right up the governments asses,talking about change,people would love 2 see our kind of change,”at least the poor people would”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. May May on said:

I am a liberal democrat and I believe and love Jesus! I get down on my hands and knees and pray every night to the same man Ricky Poo prays to and I am pretty sure that the God I pray to doesn’t believe in these family values because these family values that Santorum is speaking about do not exist… No one is perfect Rick, except the one we are praying to.
    For a man who is supposedly so close to God, you should know better than to judge people. That is not Your job!
    As Julia (Designing Women) once said, “I pray every night that people with common sense would get power and that people with power would get common sense.” I believe that statement covers it all.

18. autumn/butterfly reese on said:

@ may may………….AMEN……..WELL SAID!

This is so random but it’s been a long day and I gotta tell y’all.
      Butterfly: you and May May are related by BIGFOOT! “May May” starred as “Crystal Hightower”, Cornbread’s wife who got pissed off and burned his Ape Suit!
      May May: “Butterfly” starred as Mullet Man’s Daughter (and also served in that role in Real Life!) Small Mountain, huh?!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_TfpXiVsDc

19. Grace on said:

That MF Santorum has my blood boiling. I will try to leave out the profanity, but puhleeze. I want to “beat the hell out of him now and ask questions later”, play some “grit ball” and just give him an old school “ass whipping”….not one of these new school ones like Madea criticizes in “Madea’s Big Happy Family”….I hope to hell he isn’t gay…he would give gay people a bad name. Sorry….I can’t begin to vent enough on the blog. I am about to beat the everliving “cow manuda” out of my laptop keys. But I have to comment. He’s less than useless. I have to shut up before i blow a gasket.

Grace you need to express yourself. Unload. I’m worried that if you don’t say what’s on your mind you’re gonna stroke out on me girl! Don’t blow no gaskets on my clock missie!

• Grace on said:

In the award winning movie, “The Color Purple,” what does Sophia say to Celie after she has told Harpo to “beat her” and he has…..
        “girl….you need to bash Mister head in now and ask for forgiveness later.” I might be just a tad off on that quote….but you get the point. Maybe Jack Nicholson said it better in “A Few Good Men,” when he said “I’m gonna rip your head off and s*** down your neck.” That’s how Santorom’s sanctimonious s*** makes me feel. If I could come up with more words beginning with “s” I could have a much better run at alliteration. Thank you founding fathers ( wish I could say mothers) for the First Amendment. I am sure Santoromrectum would like to get rid of that too. And the Fourth. He might leave the Second Amendment, but if the man “held a gun” I doubt he could use it without shaking and crying.

• Nick Gerz on said:

Um Grace, what exactly is your problem with the distinguished senator? Is he too white for you? Do you have a problem with god or something? Let me guess, you think the earth is a million years old and people are from monkeys. Get a grip gurl, Rick is a fine Christian man which this country needs. Barry is over his head and I for one think instead of being mocked around the world, we should go back to being respected. Why don’t we just let the status qou rule and let illegals take over. You wanna be using the ATM and have everything in spanish? God is on our side and he says vote Rick Santorum for president. No more federal funding for infanticide and food stamps.

• Steve Douglas on said:

Anyone think this name “nickgerz” is real?

• Lu-Wow on said:

Please just let it go……..
          I know this person they are real.

• Steve Douglas on said:

`It’d be a better world if it weren’t so.

20. Laurayne Bruner Cendrowski Velasco on said:

It is indeed embarassing that there is not ONE presidential candidate Republican or Democrat that is worth my vote. But to not vote will ensure the wrong person will gain control. Tis-tis…what to do? I honestly think we lost our best candidate when Herman Cain bowed out. just my honest opinion.

• Laurayne Bruner Cendrowski Velasco on said:

And just for the record…..I too am a faithfilled, long-standing, proud Roman Catholic Christian! I fully believe that there is a time and a place for religion and politics and most often they just don’t mix. As a public official holding the highest office in the Nation, I firmly believe that religious, political and ethnnic toleance must be carefully balanced and practiced. The blending of all of these is what makes our Land strong, flavorful and thriving. We are at our best when we ALL feel wanted, needed and appreciated. Again, my opinion only.

• Steve Douglas on said:

Oh my….GOD.

21. Billy Hucks on said:

I think Santorum is giving Republicans a lesson in Self-Destruct-From-The-Fringe 2.0. I can’t understand why the media seems to be unaware of this. After all, he came in 5th in New Hampshire.

Rick Santorum is the flavor of the month. Now that he’s getting media attention and people get to see him in action, he should drop back to the back of the pack again. He’s just not ready for the big show (not to mention he’s a whole lot of crazy)! Hopefully the GOP will get it together come November and get the current crazy (who also wasn’t ready for the big show) out of office!

• Steve Douglas on said:

This is delusional.

All I can say is when I need a man’s opinion about any issues with my vajayjay I will ask an gynecologist… At least he has some actual, factual working knowledge of a woman’s reproductive system… Otherwise, anyone with a penis needs to remember their only function involving my vajayjay involves only their penis, not their brain or opinions…. juuuuuuuust sayin’….

24. Donna on said:

Slightly…well more than a little slightly unrelated….what the heck is up with Gingrich being so indignant because President Obama apologized for the accidental burning of the Quoran? ( I can’t spell that right now and hope I did not offend anyone due to the misspelling). “My point, and I do had one” is that an apology is fine. Might not help, but can’t hurt. There, darling, Bubba, is a blogging subject for your “spare” time. Keep your blogs coming. They make me think.

25. deibu76 on said:

I’m very much a liberal, so obviously I’m blatantly biased against Rick Santorum. But, I don’t think anyone wants to hear my negative opinions. I don’t enjoy political debates over issues that many of us simply have to agree-to-disagree.

I’m going to agree with most of the commenters here.

I grew up in a very conservative, Southern Baptist household. I grew up supporting Jerry Falwell, Focus on the Family, Concerned Women of America, the Bakkers before their downfall and Pat Robertson for President in 1988.

Even though I disagree with a lot of their values today, I respect them for raising me with those values! I wasn’t kept out of sex ed. classes; I could stay up late and watch cable TV on the weekends; etc. They wanted me to be a well-adjusted kid most of all! Also, my mom loved watching Morton Downey, Jr. and went on the same diets as Oprah…

They are just as conservative today, but they are certainly not out-of-touch with reality. They want a knowledgable and qualified candidate most of all! Rick Santorum might agree with them on most of the moral issues, but he is certainly not qualified as a candidate overall. They’ve felt Sarah Palin and even George W. Bush simply haven’t been qualified at all. When Nikki Haley won the Republican nomination, they went so far as to vote for Sheheen.

26. Closet Liberal on said:

I was raised, like every good Southern girl, in church. I hail from an upper class small-town Anglo-Protestant family of relative political importance. My whole life, but especially more recently, people of similar backgrounds have made the assumption that I hold the same ultra conservative Republican beliefs as they do. Nothing could be further from the truth. My 87-year old daddy voted proudly for Obama and has every intention of doing it again. So does my lawyer brother, doctor brother, and retired teacher sister. And all their offspring. And me and mine. I couldn’t give a rat’s ass less if he were Muslim, Jewish, Morman, Agnostic or Scientologist. I look at the man’s platform & his record and his consistency in positions of power. I became disillusioned years ago with professed “Christians” who go to church on Sunday & run around their spouse on Monday, get drunk on Tuesday, cheat on their taxes on Wednesday, beat their kids on Thursday, put down people of other religions, race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, etc on Friday, and selfishly hoard unnecessary luxuries on Saturday. My God doesn’t discriminate on who is more deserving any more than my momma did about her own children. She was an Atheist, by the way. Believe whatever you choose, just don’t shove it in my face or force me to live by your doctrine. Last time I heard that being done by a political leader, he was sporting a silly little moustache and putting innocent people by the train car load in gas chambers. Don’t vote because of the candidate’s church. Vote for the human being.

• Steve Douglas on said:

Closet Liberal, I’m sure I’m in love with you!!!!!

27. Debbi0609 on said:

The current republican agenda to eliminate funding for birth control puts us back to the middle ages.

28. Greg Crouch on said:

I was born with a terrible deformity in my right hand – it is withered and rolled in on itself and useless. I read this post hoping that it would mend the hole that has grown in my soul over the years.

After I read it using my mouse with my left hand I began to realize there was a strange tingling sensation in my right hand! Suddenly it rushed forth through my entire body. When it hit my head I saw God!

When this sensation ended, I looked at my old, dead hand and, lo! and behold, it was still deformed.

While I not see the immediate nexus between this disclosure and my topic, I am approving this comment to show my respect for baring something so painful in such a public forum!

• Steve Douglas on said:

Bubba, he got into the USMC with a congenital, disabling hand deformity? I don’t think so.

29. Tim on said:

Where are all these people that agree with all these far right-wing ideas? I rarely come across them. Not enough of them to elect anybody.

• Steve Douglas on said:

Bubba keeps them in a crate next to the cat box.

All of the comments are apprpriate. Rick Santorum has somehow removed himself from the enlightenment of the last four centuries and has reverted to the grotesque thinking on which the inquisition was founded, particularly intolerance. As a conservative he wants the government to mind its own business when it comes to matters of finance or business or welfare or health care, but is more than happy to have that same government stick its nose into our bedrooms, our private moments, our hospital beds, our doctor’s ofices, our religious practices, our most personal thoughts, all contrary to the constitution which gives him the right to practice his religion, home school his children and, express his medieval ideas. For my part, as a relatively conservative person, I want someone who is going to lead this country out of constant war, stop policing the world, get us back into manufacturing send education back to where it belongs, in the states etc., and I don’t give a damn about what church to which he goes, or whether goes to church at all. THe hell with thiught control!!!

31. Les Gray on said:

Thank you God for not amending the 10 commandments that we have stuck with for 2000 years.
    Screw you Government for not separating Church and State

32. Boyd on said:

Bubba-

You wanted me to comment, but I think this video sums up my feelings on those who cling to a strict reading of the Old Testament. It would be nice if they read the second half of the Bible, where they would find the main character to be a forgiving and understanding Son of God.

HBB

Sweater Vests for Jesus!

34. Andrew Williams (GO DOGS!) on said:

People can accuse Santorum of flip-flopping all they want, but he has been consistently a complete douche. (Attention Rick Santorum: you are running for President. The position of Spanish Inquisitor is no longer available.)

Politics gives me a headache……… can we go back to the IPTAY supported blog.

36. Thomas H. on said:

Good stuff man! Can’t wait for the next entry! Hopefully it will somehow involve the “Rent is Too Damn High” guy!

Well I am currently tired of ALL of them. I would like to throw thrm ALL out and start over. How about BUBBA for Prezident??

38. Donna on said:

Coincidental that the blog should mention the movie “The American President.” It was on today. To paraphrase “How can someone who claims to love America so clearly hate Americans?”….describes Santorum. And….I really wish that one other quote from that movie could be true immediately “I am the President and your fifteen minutes are up [Rick].” Bigotry is so dangerous, indicative of such a narrow-minded, cowardly person. God is good, yes…but Rick best be glad he is a forgiving and merciful God. I love the spoof on the magazine. He’s also a “demophobe” in that he fears both democrats and democracy. Wish it were the Gong Show so they could pull him off stage with the hook.

• James Hartman on said:

Read your earlier blog. RIGHT ON.

39. Janet on said:

Thanks for the blog Bubba. Wish you would get back in politics and straighten some of these people out who are trying to run our country. And to all the comments.,..just want to say Amen!!

40. Chris on said:

If all the bad politics keep going like it is, we’ll all be going to another country as illegal aliens, and we won’t have to worry about how many more illegal aliens come to this country. If Santorium were president, it might be worse than what we have now. Keep religion out of politics! That goes for all candidates.

41. Kanisha on said:

Amazing content, I truly await fresh news of your stuff.

42. Vernie on said:

Who fights can lose, who doesn’t fight has already lost

43. Andy on said:

JESUS is LOVE……NOT HATE!!!!!!!