Gamecocks knock out Sooners, head to College World Series

Somebody alert The New York Times — our nation’s foremost leader in trend stories — that there’s a sports dynasty on the verge of becoming a reality in Columbia, draped in garnet and black.

Monday afternoon, Carolina baseball resumed its rain-postponed game with Oklahoma to win 5-1, moving on to the Gamecocks’ third-consecutive College World Series, and its 11th overall. It’s the 21st-consecutive postseason win for the defending back-to-back national champions, who dispatched the Sooners with a combined 10-1 mark in the two Super Regional games.

Pete Iacobelli of the Associated Press wrote following the contest, “Once the final pitch to [OU catcher Dylan] Neal was called strike three, [USC pitcher Matt] Price smiled wide and waited for his teammates to pile on. The celebration wasn’t wild or excessive, not from a club which knows too well what it’s like to win with a national title on the line.”

For a team that knows its all is needed, but expects to win, closing out the Super Regional in Columbia still struck a note. Pitcher Michael Roth, the Game One winner, said of that outing, “Well I’d be lying to you if I tried to tell you it was just another game for me. I just tried to go out there, and there was something special about tonight. I’m glad to leave on a high note at this stadium for me, personally.”

What’s next for Carolina? Surprisingly, more of the same. As in, the Gamecocks (45-17) tangle again with Florida (47-18) on Saturday. UF and USC are paired up in Bracket Two of the CWS, in a game that will be televised at 9 p.m. on ESPN.

The Gators took two of three from Carolina in the regular season, then knocked the Gamecocks out of the SEC Tournament. But, that was then, and this is World Series. USC tends to play a little differently in Omaha.

by J.L. Mann Cromer, Jr., who served as the only true independent member of the South Carolina General Assembly from 1990-1998. Currently, he is a general practice attorney in Columbia, S.C., concentrating in probate and estate planning, criminal defense and personal injury law.

With Wes Wolfe. He wrote for 11 newspapers in five states and is the marketing coordinator for ACEC Virginia.

9 thoughts on “Gamecocks knock out Sooners, head to College World Series

Bubba, I can’t crow for your birds until after the Razorback’s finish their game. Hope I am calling the hogs and crowing but if we don’t get some hits USC will be my only dog in the hunt.

god I love post season college baseball

3. Kenny Harrell on said:

After so many years of frustration, hard to believe that winning is becoming the new expectation. Congrats to Coach Tanner and another scrappy bunch of kids.

4. Julie on said:

Gotta love a team that always battles down to the very end and shows such spirit and exuberance and joy in the game, the fans, and the university. GO COCKS!!! Those boys are full of style and class — couldn’t be prouder of them and Coach Tanner!

5. JUNE-BUG SHISSIAS on said:

I am soooo happy for the Gamecocks and Im going to enjoy this high for as long as it lasts but I have to admit that I’m skeered about Florida Can we beat them?????

6. Rod Simmons on said:

FEAR THE FISH,….especially when it rains!

7. Fun Cooking Granny on said:

I am SOOOOO proud of our Gamecocks and the way they played in the Regional and Super Regional! The entire Gamecock Nation is with you, Fellas, and you can be sure that while we’re back home pulling for you, we’ll be pulling hard as if we were in the stadium in Omaha! Just go out there and do your BEST and I’m sure you all can make it a threepeat!! GOOOOOOO COCKS – win ‘em ALL! LOTS of LOVE and LUCK to you!!

8. ben moise on said:

Cocka-Doodle-Doo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Walter Carr on said:

While I hope the chickens go on to yet another victory, being a TIGER fan I am more interested in the very HOT chick in the photo. I must admit that I am in true lust with her.