Guardianships and Conservatorships

These areas of the law are extremely sensitive and often emotional. If you or your family is faced with this situation, please consider a experienced attorney like Bubba Cromer, who has been helping people out for his entire life.

Should an adult or minor child become incapacitated or unable to handle his or her own decision-making regarding his or her finances or personal well-being, the court can appoint guardianships and conservatorships to care for the protected individual. An experienced attorney like Cromer Law Offices, LLC can really help navigate through this turbulent waters.

What are the differences between Guardianships and Conservatorships?

A Guardian handles the physical care and decision-making for the protected person. an example would be in the following situation:

“If anything happens to me and my spouse, we would want my sister to have the children to raise”. This situation is one that can be addressed in you’re Last Will & Testament , as long as you realize that a Judge of Competent Jurisdiction Wil be the ultimate authority to make the decision that is in the best interest of the child. The more emotional scenario would be the one in which a loved one is suffering from dementia and can no longer take care of themselves in a safe and healthful environment.

A Conservator handles the financial business for the protected. Sometimes this is the same person as the guardian, but it does not have to be. In any event, A background check with SLED, a credit check, and the detailed reports of two independent physicians are needed to begin this process. Once the petition has been filed with the court, the physicians will submit their report(s), and a court hearing will be held for the Judge to render a decision.

A Probate Court Attorney is required for this complicated and very sensitive process, and Guardianship and Conservatorship Attorney Bubba Cromer is qualified and experienced in this field of law. He’s been helping people throughout this emotionally draining process for over 25 years. Call us today at 803-254-7900.